I think cabbage and sausage are one of the best combinations. Although I have cooked cabbage and sausage in many ways, I wanted to try this slow cooker method to make sure they were equally delicious. What is the verdict? It works! It’s delicious!
HOW MANY SAUSAGES DO YOU NEED?
This recipe calls for smoked sausage. You can use kielbasa or even andouille. The sausage’s smoky flavour and the spices add a rich flavour to the pot.
Baby creamer potatoes were my choice because they are easy to prepare and don’t require chopping. But you can also use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes, cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces. This recipe would not work well with Russet potatoes.
HOW TO SEASON CABBAGE and SAUSAGE
This recipe is very simple. I used only a few teaspoons of steak seasoning, a mix of salt and pepper, garlic, red pepper, and garlic. Cajun seasoning could be used, or something simpler like salt, pepper and paprika.
SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE – HOW TO SERVE
I poured the cabbage, sausages, potatoes, broth and butter into a bowl. It was almost like a soup but not quite as thick. But, you can use a spoon to remove the broth if you want. This is the ultimate comfort food. 🙂
SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE FOR SLOW COOKERS
A slow cooker cabbage and sausage recipe is a quick and easy way to create a filling, delicious, and cozy meal. Ideal for meal preparation!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 1.5 lb. Baby potatoes ($2.99)
- 1 yellow onion (0.32)
- 1/2 head chopped cabbage (5-6 cups). ($1.14)
- 2 TSP steak seasoning ($0.20).
- 14 oz. smoked sausage ($2.79)
- 2 cups chicken broth ($0.26)
- 1 Tbsp chopped Parsley (optional garnish). ($0.10)
- Cut the onion into 1-inch pieces. Place the baby potatoes, onions and water in a slow cooker of 5 quarts.
- Cut the cabbage into 1-inch pieces. Then add the cabbage and seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Cut the sausage into rounds of 1/2-inch thickness. The chicken broth and the sausage should be added to the slow cooker. To incorporate the sausage into the cabbage, stir gently. It is okay if the broth doesn’t cover all of the ingredients.
- Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours.
- Stir the ingredients together after 4 hours or 8 hours on low. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste. Serve hot with chopped parsley if you like.
SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE FOR A SLOW COOKER
Cut one yellow onion into 1-inch pieces. 1.5 lb. Place the baby potatoes and chopped onion in 5 quarts or a larger slow cooker.
Cut 1/2 head of cabbage into 1-inch pieces. This will yield approximately 5-6 cups after it has been chopped. The chopped cabbage should be added to the slow cooker with 2 teaspoons of steak seasoning.
Slice 14oz. Cut the smoked sausage into rounds of 1/2-inch thickness. The sliced sausage should be added to the slow cooker with 2 cups of chicken broth.
Mix the ingredients gently in the slow cooker until the sausage is incorporated into the cabbage.
Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. It will look something like this after it has been cooked.
Mix everything and top with chopped parsley. Serve hot